Metal roofs are often misunderstood, and one of the biggest misconceptions surrounding them is they make houses more uncomfortable in the summer. This notion is unfounded. In fact, the primary reason metal roofing systems are hot right now is they are being marketed as “cool” and are good at increasing energy efficiency. Read more
Since flat roofs are normally seen on commercial buildings, you’d be forgiven if you think that’s the only application for them. This isn’t actually the case as you can also use flat roofs for residential roofing. In fact, that’s the preferred choice when it comes to modern architectural styles. However, like every component of your home, they come with their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. Read more
When hiring someone to come onto your property and work on your home, you need to make sure you do your research. There are so many people and companies out there that taking the extra level of precaution will make all of the difference. The fate of your house, your patience and your wallet will all include how diligent you are!
What to Look For in A Local Contractor?
1. Expert Installations: New siding or a new roof is a pretty big project considering all the work you put into your house. The combination of time and money that goes into these projects means that if not done properly, you wont receive a positive ROI. To make sure that your contractor is reliable, look at their online reviews and certifications. This will do a great job of telling you how reliable and skilled they are.
Here are some examples to check for:
At Solid State Construction we keep high ratings and have reliable certifications because of our continued drive for helping every customer as if they were our own family.
2. Quality Roofing Shingles: As important as the people who install the shingles on the roof, the shingles themselves are extremely important. Ask potential contractors what manufacturers they work with and what type of shingles are available. Do some research, compare the shingles and make sure they are from a reliable source.
At Solid State Construction we work with only the highest quality manufacturers. We work with:
3. Experience: Choosing a new contractor can be risky for a range of different reasons. An established company comes with warranties that mean more and it also means something if they’ve been around for a while. A new company could have a lot of issues and it takes years to get your business the way it should be! Solid State Construction has been around for 12 years providing homeowners with all their amazing services!
When working with Solid State Construction, feel free to ask us any question that you’d like! It’s important you feel comfortable working with us.
For more information about our team and how we could help you with your roofing or siding project, please feel free to reach out. Our team can be contacted over the phone at 508-581-3798 or through our online contact form.
As your roof gets older, its quality and integrity are likely to worsen. Although roof replacement can be a big decision for homeowners, there are many accompanying benefits that may make it worthwhile.
An aging roof experiences a myriad of weather-related stresses. The longer a roof has been exposed to the environment, the more likely it is to weaken. In some cases, the roof may begin to sag. If there are leaks, rotting may occur. A weakened roof can be dangerous and can be a risk to your family. A new roof is an excellent way to ensure a safe living environment.
When you get a new roof installed, it will most likely come with a manufacturer warranty that will protect you against problems stemming from defective materials. Just make sure you hire a certified contractor who can provide a long-term manufacture warranty. The length of the warranty is significant because many problems do not manifest themselves until a few years after installation.
Peace of Mind
Depending on what they are made of, new roofs can last anywhere from 10-30 years. By replacing an old roof with a new one, you are giving yourself many years in which you can rest easy knowing that you will not have to stress about the safety or quality of your roof.
Aging roofs tend to develop specific visually unpleasant problems such as curling or balding shingles, sagging, and mold. If your roof is experiencing any of these signs of age, a new roof will make your home more attractive.
Many homeowners replace their roof before selling to raise the value of their home. If you are considering selling your home in the future, you may want to consider replacing your roof. Not only will the new roof add the benefits mentioned above to your home, but you will also likely make back a significant portion of what you paid for it when you sell.
A new roof can help you save money on your energy bills. With proper installation, a new roof can help to create a comfortable living space by minimizing temperature fluctuations. With a newly installed roof, you will have a more pleasant and cost-effective home.
Your roof is essential to the overall safety and comfort of your home. With so many potential benefits, roof replacement can be a necessary step toward a creating a home that is both safe and long-lasting. With years of experience and industry knowledge, Solid State Construction can provide you with a roof that you will protect your family for years to come.
Asphalt Shingles are by far the most common roofing material used across the board in the United States. Homes and businesses alike often use asphalt to protect their home with asphalt as it does an absolutely amazing job protecting homes. There are other reliable roofing materials out there by why is Asphalt so popular?
1. Lightweight: As you can imagine, the weight of asphalt shingles really isn’t that much. This means that when installing an asphalt roof, most homes don’t have extra strain put on them and are capable of handling them. Heavy roofs such as slate often require extra structural support to handle this weight.
2. Inexpensive: Homeowners are always looking to save money and that’s why asphalt is so popular. Out of the most reliable roofing options out there, asphalt is the most affordable. Saving some extra cash is always a plus!
3. Efficient Installation Process: As a homeowner, nobody wants contractors working on their house for longer than they need to. Going with asphalt shingles means that contractors are in and out fairly quickly as the installation process typically doesn’t take very long.
4. Style Choices: With asphalt being so popular, there have been so many different styles of shingle and colors that have come out. Our main roofing manufacturer, GAF provides homeowners with so many options that there is no way you don’t get the exact roof that you want.
5. Durability: When it comes down to the bottom life for a roof, this is the most important factor. You want a roofing material that is going to last and that is going to protect your home for years to come. Asphalt is extremely durable and when using GAF your roof will be backed by an amazing warranty.
Solid State Construction is a GAF Master Elite Contractor and provides their roofing services throughout much of Massachusetts. If you have any further questions about your home and the need for roofing services, please feel free to reach out to us. We can be contacted over the phone at 508-581-3798 or through our online contact form.
When you are choosing exactly what asphalt roofing shingles to put on your home, you should seek the advice of your contractor. They have years and years of experience and can help find the perfect selection for you. If you want to do some research on your own, this is great! But, where do you start? Picking the right shingles can be overwhelming. There are so many different options from the manufacturer, to the style and color. One this is for sure that making the right choice will help ensure that your house stays protected for years to come.
When looking at shingles, make sure that a warranty is included. The warranty will tell you how confident the manufacturer is in their product and how long they expect the shingles to last. If something is to happen to your roof during the warranty period this will help save you some serious cash
Do some research and see if the manufacturer has a good reputation. There are a handful of really good shingle brands out there, so sticking to the best options is probably the smartest things!
Leading manufacturers like GAF, has a ton of different shingle styles and quality grades. Explore some of the different roofing options so you can ensure that your roof matches the style of your home exactly as you want it to.
When you’ve narrowed down to the style of shingle by a specific manufacturer, it’s time to choose a color. Take a couple of shingle options and place them next to your siding so you can see if they match. Keep in mind that darker shingles do keep in more heat throughout the summer while lighter shingles allow for a cooler attic if you are planning on using that space.
For more information about selecting the best shingles for your roof, please feel free to reach out to Solid State Construction. We are a leading roofing company in Massachusetts and if you work with us, we’ll make sure you get the perfect shingle for you!
Choosing a roofing material can be overwhelming for homeowners. While traditional asphalt shingles are an affordable choice, and they’re the roofing material that most homeowners are familiar with, there are other options. One of the best modern choices for roofing material is rubber roofing. If you’re not familiar with rubber roofing check out these pros and cons of rubber roofing and then talk to a roofing professional at Solid State Construction to find out if rubber roofing is a good fit for your home:
Easy To Install
One of the biggest benefits of choosing rubber roofing is that rubber roofing is very easy to install. In most cases a rubber roof can be installed in a day or two. This is because the rubber is laid in one large sheet instead of technicians having to place individual shingles. Even a very thick rubber roof can be installed quickly and easily by a professional.
If you want to be sure that your roof is going to last as long as you own the home, then rubber roofing is the right choice. Traditional asphalt shingles usually last from 20-25 years but rubber roofing can last twice as long. Most of the time rubber roofing will last for 30-60 years with only minimal repairs and upkeep.
Homeowners that want a roof that will look great without a lot of maintenance prefer rubber roofing. Rubber roofing needs almost no maintenance. You may need to wash it off with a hose once and awhile and check it to make sure there are no holes, cracks or other damage but in general it’s maintenance free. If you don’t want to have to maintain your roof or if it’s difficult for you to do maintenance yourself then you should consider rubber roofing.
Easy To Repair
Unlike asphalt shingles that need to be individually placed and secured rubber roofing can usually be repaired quickly and easily with a tube of liquid rubber or sealant. A trained professional can repair damage to a rubber roof in one visit to your home which will save you time and money.
Modern manufacturing has made rubber one of the most environmentally friendly products to produce. If living green is important to you and you want to use materials that don’t have a high carbon footprint to produce a rubber roof is a green friendly alternative to roofing materials that require a lot of manufacturing.
Rubber is UVA and heat resistant. If you live in a warm climate where the summers are getting hotter choosing a roofing material that is heat resistant is important. In some areas temperatures routinely climb over 100 during the summer. A rubber roof will reflect that heat without fading or becoming damaged by the sun. And when the roof is reflecting the hot sun back to the atmosphere it will help insulate your home and keep your energy costs from climbing along with the temperature.
Winters are getting harsher. If you live in a climate where there are strong hurricanes, blizzards or tornadoes you need a roof that will hold up through extreme weather. Rubber roofing is intensely strong and is rated to withstand high winds and other extreme weather.
Rubber roofing really only has one con, and that’s the price. Because of the many benefits that rubber roofing has it can be more expensive than other types of roofing like asphalt shingles. But, an investment in a rubber roof is a great investment to make in your home. And over time the roof will pay for itself in convenience, protection, durability, and easy maintenance.
If you want to find out more about the benefits of a rubber roof talk to a professional at Solid State Construction to find out what the experts think about rubber roofing and if rubber roofing is a good choice for your home.
If you’re in the market to buy a new home, there are several factors you should look at to determine if the home is perfect for you. But one feature that can’t be overlooked is the roof. Often one of the most expensive features of a home, it’s important that the roof is in good condition and has been maintained before you put an offer in on the home. If not, you may be looking at costly repairs or expenses that should have been addressed by previous buyers.
One of the main issues to look for in a roof is mold or mildew damage. Make sure there are no bumps or bulges, and that no water is getting into the roof’s structure. Mold or mildew damage can cause major structural and health issues to you and your family, so make sure your home inspector has done a mold check.
Dry rot is also a major issue to consider. This can cause a breakdown of the wooden components of the roof. Dry rot is often caused by poor ventilation in the home and can be fixed by properly ventilating spaces like attics and crawlspaces.
Additionally, it’s important to ask the current homeowner about the maintenance and life of the roof under their care. See if they’ve made any improvements or done work on the roof since they’ve owned the house. This can give you a good idea of the roof’s lifespan and any changes you’d need to make as the new owner.
While you’re inspecting the roof, make sure to also pay attention to the gutters and drainage along the perimeter of the roof. You want to look and ensure the gutters are properly secured, not blocked by debris, and is in good working condition. Otherwise, there can be drainage issues on your roof or in your home.
If you’re in the market for a new home, make sure to hire a professional that can properly inspect and examine your potential new home for roof quality. Sometimes, the home owner will have done the inspection prior to putting the home on the market. Make sure they have hired a reputable home inspector as well to verify the roof.
Asphalt by definition is the bituminous mixture with sand and/or gravel, typically used for roads, flooring, and roofing. Asphalt roof cover over 80% of single-family homes in the United States. The materials used in roofing must at least have a flame resistant property. Asphalt shingles generally are appealing to the consumer because of its relatively low price and low maintenance. It is very easy to remove it and install into the roof, its also light in weight and can make a project much safer if weight is a factor in building a home. Asphalt has been a great building material for thousands of years and this track all the way back to the ancient Mesopotamians. The early productions use in the United States cames as early as the 1890s, but was finally cut and sold as single shingles in 1903 by Henry M. Reynolds.
The production of asphalt starts with a machine that can add the necessary materials at the right time. First, the base material fiberglass goes through a dry looping process. Second, the base moves and one side is sprayed with hot asphalt in a saturated chamber, the asphalt is extremely hot at this point. Next, the shingle sheet is moved into a process to cool down called wet looping. From here it rolls into its next stage which it starts to add powdered minerals called coating. The product has one more step of additives which mixes inf granulates ceramic-minerals that cover the top and gives it the sharded exterior at times. During this phase, the desired color can be chosen for the shingle sheets. Finally, the sheets are cut into single shingles and ready to protect a home near you.
So, your roof is leaking and water has made its way into your house. You probably realize there is a leak because, of course, whether it’s the first floor, second floor you have found water. While the fact that you have found this water is great, it can be much more difficult sometimes to find the actual source. At Solid State Construction, we can help find this right away, but if you want to take a look yourself, follow some of these tips.
- Move Upwards: With the leak found, either go into the attic or the room directly above where you found the leak in the first place. This should be your first step after seeing the leak.
- Exposed Lighting: If you came to a dead end after moving up in your house, try seeing if there is any exposed light in your attic. This will be fairly obvious as if there is exposed light that usually means that water can easily make its way into your home.
- Objects In Your Home That Don’t Belong: Look around your roof, walls, and siding to see if you find any intrusive objects. Something such as an errant nail can pierce a roof and cause leaking.
- When it rains, trying listening: Next time it rains, turn all electronics off in your home and see if you can hear the leak. If check out each room and the attic you may be able to hear a dripping noise.
- Gutter & Pipes Check Up: Overflowed gutters or ice dams are two issues that frequently cause roof leakage. Be sure that you check out your gutters to make sure they aren’t overflowing and not draining properly during a rainstorm.
- Contact Solid State Construction: If you have a leak in your house, you don’t want to wait too long as it can cause serious problems that longer you wait. Reach out to Solid State Construction and our team of contractors will assess the damage and where it is coming from.