3 Different Types Of Roofs In Central MA
The Best Roof Material Will Enhance Your Home
A roof is not JUST a roof…the material of your roof is going to not only affect the entire look of your home but also affect just how often you will need to replace your roof in Central MA.
Luckily, Solid State Construction offers several types of roofing material, so you not only have options but you can choose the best material for your home’s needs.
Considered the most popular and economical type of residential roofing materials, asphalt roofing is an obvious choice for many homeowners.
Asphalt roofing, or asphalt shingles as they are commonly known, is composed of organic materials like slate, quartz, stone, and ceramic granules. Fiberglass is a non-organic material added to asphalt shingles to help build its strength.
Pros Of Asphalt Roofing
There are several benefits of using asphalt roofing on your Central MA home. These benefits include:
- Due to how often asphalt is used and the manufacturing process, this is one of the more affordable choices on the market.
- Thanks to the flexibility of asphalt shingles, they can be molded easily, ensuring they fit the style of all roofs easily.
- Asphalt shingles are relatively straightforward to install since they are molded to shape and can be cut effortlessly.
- If a shingle were to be blown away during a storm, it is simple enough to replace one asphalt shingle rather than having to replace the entire roof.
Cons Of Asphalt Roofing
While asphalt roofing has many benefits, there are still some drawbacks to consider.
- Asphalt shingles are very vulnerable to high winds and suffer from wind uplift.
- Asphalt shingles can easily crack since they are so lightweight.
- Most importantly, asphalt does not have a long lifespan when compared to other roofing materials.
The use of metal roofs has increased over the past few years. Before asphalt roofing was popularized on residential homes, metal roofing was what homeowners opted to go with.
Pros Of Metal Roofing
- Metal roofs have a lifespan of anywhere from 40 to 70 years.
- When metal roofs are installed correctly, they have amazing longevity against high winds and severe weather.
- Cooling costs can be reduced with metal roofing, ultimately lowering energy bills by anywhere from 10 to 25%.
- Metal roofs come in a variety of colors and textures to get a look that works for your home. There are even styles that can mimic the look of asphalt shingle roofing.
- Contrary to what most people believe, metal roofs are considered extremely environmentally friendly, as many of these roofs are made up of recycled material.
Cons Of Metal Roofing
- Metals roofs are more expensive than other roofing materials like asphalt shingles.
- Some homeowners complain about the noise of having a metal roof. Hard rains or hail can often be heard hitting the metal roof.
- There is no exact color matching repair that can be made on metal roofs due to age or fading from the sun. Thus, if a section is replaced, it is most often not the same color.
Rubber roofing is most often seen on commercial buildings. However, it has increased in popularity even for residential homes. This increase in popularity is due to how rubber is being used on peaked and sloped roofs of every kind.
Pros Of Rubber Roofing
- Rubber roofing is considered extremely durable. With proper care, you may find your rubber roof lasts for 50 years or longer.
- Your home may be more comfortable with rubber roofing that has been shown to absorb heat during the winter to help keep your home warmer…which could result in reduced heating bills.
- Rubber roofing is considered to be an affordable option when compared to metal roofing.
- Very easy to repair and maintain to ensure the roof always looks and performs at its best.
- Rubber rubbing is fire retardant; thus it could result in lower home insurance premiums.
Cons Of Rubber Roofing
- There are very limited color and texture options to choose from with rubber roofing. Therefore, there are many people who feel like rubber roofing is not going to help curb appeal at all.
- Rubber roofs are not typically designed to walk on. While this is not a huge concern for residential homeowners, it could be an issue for commercial properties.
Which Is Best For Your Central MA Home?
With all the pros and cons of the various roofing materials out there, which roof should you choose for your Central MA home? This is a personal decision, but here are some factors you may want to take into consideration:
- Are you looking for the best roof to handle the fierce winter that Central MA homes are often exposed to?
- Does your home have any specific qualities that prevent certain types of roofs from being used?
- Do you have a certain color in mind for your new roof?
- What type of budget do you have for your new roof?
- Are there any HOA rules that your home has to follow?
Once you start to answer these questions, you will find that it narrows down your choices as to what roofing material will work best for your home.
The good news is that here at Solid State Construction, we offer all three of these roofing materials for our clients, and we are trained in installing them correctly. Whether you choose asphalt, rubber, or metal roofs for your Central MA home, you can sleep easy, knowing your new roof will come out stunning.
Get A Free Quote Today
If your roof is showing signs of needing to be replaced, then we are here to help. We offer free quotes for your roof, ensuring you get the best roofing material that fits your home needs. Contact us today or give us a call at (508) 581-3798 to ensure your roof is ready to handle Central MA weather.